The holidays are a great time to catch up on reading.
节假日是大量阅读的极佳时机
Here are five books that really stood out to me.
以下是5本令我印象深刻的书
These Truths by Jill Lepore
吉尔·莱波雷 《这些真理》
A lot of people once you leave school,
许多人离开校园后
you never really go through the broad scope of American history again.
就不再重温波澜壮阔的美国历史
She brings this lens of looking backwards.
她把视角转向过去
How do we compare to other countries?
我们怎样与其它国家相比较?
What was controversial?
有哪些争议?
What hung in the balance?
有哪些悬而未决的事情?
Particularly slavery and gender and immigrants.
书中特别讲到了奴隶制 性别平权以及移民问题
I think the book is very worth reading.
我认为这本书非常值得一读
Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker
马修·沃克 《我们为什么要睡觉》
I’m a night person, but I’ve been paying more attention to sleep.
虽然我是个夜猫子 但对睡眠却一直很关注
This guy is super persuasive about
本书作者非常具有说服力 他在书中说
if you want to lose weight, get good sleep.
如果你想减肥 那么就先睡个好觉吧
If you want to really learn things, get good sleep.
如果想真正学进东西 还是先睡个好觉吧
He literally tells you,
他直接在书中告诉你
if you’re reading this when you should be sleeping,
如果你在该睡觉的点还在看这本书
please close the book.
请把书合上
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
塔雅丽•琼斯 《美国婚姻》
This is about a black couple in the south
它讲述了美国南部一对黑人夫妇的故事
and an injustice that totally reshapes the lives of the husband and the wife
一桩不公正的案件彻底改变了夫妻俩的命运
and eventually dooms their marriage.
最终导致婚姻走向破裂
The husband and wife are put into a difficult position.
丈夫和妻子陷入困境
You wouldn’t call it a happy ending, because they’ve been through so much.
由于他俩经历了太多 你不会觉得故事的结局是圆满的
Prepared by Diane Tavenner
戴安•塔文纳 《做好准备》
She asks the right questions about middle school and high school systems.
作者对中学和高中体系提出了合理质疑
What she’s done is really amazing.
她所做的事情十分令人惊叹
Not many people are brave enough to create a new school system.
很少有人有足够的勇气去创造新的学校体系
You have self-confidence, the ability to learn,
你需要拥有自信以及学习能力
the ability to manage your time,
时间管理能力
a sense of what you want to go and do.
清楚自己以后想做什么 该怎样实现
Sometimes, kids will get discouraged.
有时 孩子们会感到沮丧
You just hope your kid gets curious about something.
但大家只不过希望孩子对于某些事物仍然能够保持好奇心
Growth by Vaclav Smil
瓦科拉夫•斯米尔 《增长》
Modern civilization has performed all these miracles,
现代文明已创造出很多奇迹
and yet, you do hit limits.
但也达到了极限
We’ve been on various plateaus.
我们在很多方面陷入了停滞
When did we figure out how to build certain big buildings?
我们是什么时候弄懂如何修建高楼大厦的?

What was holding us back in terms of doing that?
修建高楼大厦的过程中有什么阻碍?

Why don’t we build them to the sky now?
为什么建筑物不是修得越高越好?
If you said to me “Oh, when you’re young, you can travel over the speed of sound,
如果你对我说 “年轻时 你可以超音速飞行
but then when you get older, you won’t be able to travel over the speed of sound,”
但年老后 你就不能超音速飞行了”
I would have been like, ‘That’s crazy.’
我的反应可能是这样:“那真是太荒唐了”
I found these books to be really clever and engaging.
在我看来 这些书籍充满智慧 也十分吸引人
I hope you find them as intriguing as I did.
希望大家在阅读时也能和我一样发现其中的乐趣

相关热播

  • 2021-09-15如何打破糖瘾-停止进食糖的简单步骤Brainy Dose Presents:Brainy Dose出品: How To Break Sugar Addiction: Simple Steps To Stop Eating Sugar如何戒掉糖瘾:简单几步停止吃糖 More than anything else, nutritionists point to excessive sugar consumption营养学家指出大多数..
  • 2021-08-24努力做你自己早安 这里是Believe Nation– Good morning Believe Nation, 我是Evan Carmichael 我的关键词是believe(相信)my name is Evan Carmichael, my one word is Believe 我相信企业家and I believe that entrepreneurs 会解决在世界上的所有主要问题wil..
  • 2021-09-09成为一名世界公民意味着什么我想介绍一个很厉害的女人I want to introduce you to an amazing woman. 她叫达维妮雅Her name is Davinia. 达维妮雅出生在牙买加 18岁时移民去了美国Davinia was born in Jamaica, emigrated to the US at the age of 18, 现在住在华盛顿的外面and now lives jus..
  • 2021-08-24挑战自我你能变得更好!You deserve better! E T 你在说什么啊ET, what you’re talking about? 请听仔细听我说Listen to me, listen to me very carefully. 你理所应当You deserve… 你值得看到 如果你做到120%的努力You deserve to see what your life would..
  • 2021-08-24我最后的日子│众星合唱《Clouds》扎克索比赫今年17岁Zach Sobiech is 17. 扎克患有骨肉瘤 Zach has Osteoscarcoma and 生命只剩几周时间has weeks to live 为了与这个世界说再见To say goodbye, 他写了一首名为“白云”的歌Zach wrote a song called “Clouds” 数以百万计的人在油管上观看了他的视频Milli..
  • 2021-08-24自律即自由如果你关注这个频道有一段时间了If you have been following this channel for a while. 你也许会明白我喜欢井然有序 我也的确这样You might get the idea that I love structure. And I do. 我喜欢有效率 有组织性和有秩序的 并且我会尽可能做到自律I love productivity, organi..
  • 2021-08-30蚊子嗡嗡叫的真实原因 | DIY神经科学系列翻译:约瑟夫•杰妮校验:克里斯汀•阿帕嗒Translator: Joseph GeniReviewer: Krystian Aparta [蚊子嗡嗡声](Mosquito buzzing) 我们都听过蚊子讨厌的嗡嗡声We’ve all heard the annoying sound of a mosquito, 而且会不惜一切代价将它赶走and we will stop at no..
  • 2021-08-24“最大的成功故事”(马云)我父亲并不富裕 我考了三次大学 都没考上 我向哈佛大学提交了十次的入学申请全都失败了 他们甚至都不想再看到我了 最后一次 我去了一所师范学校 一所三流甚至是四流的大学 我去应聘了30份工作 但都被拒绝了 那段时间很艰难 我很沮丧 因为我在大学里教书 我的工资一个月10美元 因为我找不到一份更好的工作 1994年 说到我准备做一个叫互联网的东西的时候 他们中有23个人反对 他们说 这个想法很愚蠢 ..
  • 2021-08-30质疑的福音我们就在那儿There we were, 灵魂和身体挤在德克萨斯州的一间教堂里souls and bodies packed into a Texas church 那是我们人生的最后一个夜晚on the last night of our lives. 我们就挤在一个像现在这样的房间里Packed into a room just like this, 只不过那里都是吱呀响的长木凳 上面盖着破..
  • 2021-08-27污染是如何改变海洋的化学成分的你可曾想过Do you ever think about 海洋在我们的日常生活中有多重要?how important the oceans are in our daily lives? 海洋覆盖了地球表面的2/3The oceans cover two thirds of our planet. 我们呼吸的一半氧气都是海洋提供的They provide half the oxygen we b..
  • 2021-08-24证明自己小心那些扼杀你的憧憬Beware of vision, 梦想dream, 和激情的人and passion killers. 大多情况下 家人和朋友就是这种人Family and friends, in most cases, 尽管很不想这么说sad to even say this. 大多时候 家人、朋友会是第一批劝你放弃Family and friends, in most cases, w..
  • 2021-08-24现在开始充实的生活天呐 已经不记得你第一次去学校的时间了My goodness don’t remember when you went first to school 你进了幼儿园 在那儿and you went to kindergarten and in kindergarten, the idea was to 一心要努力进入一年级 之后再接再厉 以便push along so to get ..

我要评论

    评论加载中...

译学馆所有视频和图片来自互联网版权归原创者所有。

加载中...